It occurred to me the other day my collection needs some restructuring. My tastes have been weighted more towards non-sport/multi-sport offerings/pro wrestling offerings of late. I’ve also come to realize a fair number of my collections are of players I don’t really care about very much. The expectational baggage of some of those collections are wearying and only serve to keep me from things I like better. So some full-on collections are being reduced to Single Page Sensations, and some Single Page Sensations are being dropped entirely. There will be a small number of new things will be added to the lists, however.
So here’s how it shakes down.
• Ernie Banks, Starlin Castro, Matt Forte, Brian Urlacher, Charles Tillman, LaDainian Tomlinson, Allen Iverson, Derrick Rose, Deron Williams, and AJ Lee are now Single Page Sensations. Whatever I decide not to keep will be available, though that’d just be base and low-level inserts in most cases.
• Banks and Castro are governed by similar rules to Rod Carew. Banks gets a page each for vintage and modern. Starlin gets one each for his RC/Prospect years, later inserts/parallels, and hits from any year.
• Chris Carter, Jason Heyward, Dave Winfield, Robert Griffin III, Steven Jackson, Maurice Jones-Drew, Julius Peppers, Julius Erving, Danny Granger, Scottie Pippen, Tamina Snuka, and Kaitlyn are removed from the collection. Though a Trifecta of any of them would still be welcome, virtually all of the few cards I have of each player/wrestler are available for sale or trade.
• Greg Maddux, Marian Hossa, Dustin Byfuglienis, Mia St. John, Michelle Baena, and Gina Torres are added to Single Page Sensations.
• As for sets, 1969 Topps Deckle Edge, 2009 Topps Unique Unique Unis, and 2011 Topps Lineage ’75 Minis are removed from the collection.
• BenchWarmer Kiss Cards are added to Single Page Sensations
• The stickers and Lawler sketches from 2012 WWE Heritage, and the mini master set of 2012 Panini Prizm baseball has been added to sets, though Prizm still needs filled in.
• I also attempted to organize the pages a bit better by breaking down baseball and football into Cubs/Bears and other players, and separating BenchWarmers from non-sport. They are kinda their own (sexy) beast.
That’ll do it for now I guess. Hopefully ratcheting down a few collections will have the added effect of quality over quantity in the long run as well. Only having a single page to work with, and pressure to rush into completing it in a timely manner, might push me to try for nicer cards when they cross my radar, and reignite my love for some of these guys.
Oh, here’s a card on the way out. Eve Torres autos finally fell into my price range after she ditched the WWE.
Until our next…